What Are The Causes Of Cystitis?
The main cause of cystitis is represented by bacterial infections which can be caused by different types of microorganisms . Despite this, Escherichia coli appears to be responsible for the infection in most cases.
The main risk factors for cystitis are: female sex (inflammation affects women more frequently), use of oral contraceptives , unprotected sexual intercourse.
Symptoms Of Cystitis: What Are They?
Among the main symptoms of cystitis , we remember:
- Continuous urge to urinate ;
- Burning or pain when urinating ;
- Abdominal pain or cramps .
Other symptoms that can commonly occur in the case of cystitis consist of: blood in the urine , fever , dysuria, bladder tenesmus , dark and/or smelly urine .
The information on drugs for the treatment of cystitis is not intended to replace the direct relationship between health professional and patient. Always consult your doctor and/or specialist before taking any medication to treat cystitis.
Medicines And Treatment
Treatment And Medicines For Cystitis
Since the basis of the inflammation is a bacterial infection, the treatment for cystitis involves the use of antibiotic drugs .
In addition to pharmacological therapy, to promote the healing of cystitis, it is important to adopt some behavioral measures, such as:
- Drink plenty of water ;
- Maintain careful intimate hygiene ;
- Avoid foods that irritate the urinary tract. For more information on this last point, we recommend reading the article: Diet for Cystitis .
Below are the active ingredients most used in therapy against cystitis and some examples of medicinal specialties; it is up to the doctor to choose the most suitable active ingredient and dosage for the patient, based on the severity of the disease, the patient’s state of health and his response to the treatment.
Antibiotics for Cystitis
To treat cystitis, various antibiotic active ingredients can be used. The choice of which antibiotic to use depends on the type of microorganism supporting the infection. For this reason, it is always advisable to go to the doctor to obtain an accurate diagnosis.
In any case, among the main antibiotic drugs that can be used in the treatment of cystitis, we remember:
- Fosfomycin : fosfomycin is an antibiotic of natural origin with a broad spectrum of action . Medicines containing it have specific therapeutic indications for the treatment of urinary tract infections , including acute bacterial cystitis . The active ingredient is available for oral administration in the form of granules for oral suspension.
- Ampicillin : Ampicillin is a broad-spectrum beta-lactam antibiotic belonging to the penicillin class . It is an active ingredient widely used in the treatment of acute and chronic cystitis. Ampicillin is available in pharmaceutical formulations suitable for both oral and parenteral administration .
- Amoxicillin : Amoxicillin is another beta-lactam antibiotic belonging to the penicillin class. It has indications for the treatment of genitourinary infections , in which it is usually administered orally. The exact dosage will be established by the doctor on an individual basis for each patient. At appropriate doses – variable depending on age and body weight – amoxicillin can also be used for the treatment of cystitis in children . It is recommended to follow the pediatrician ‘s instructions .
- Levofloxacin : Levofloxacin is an antibiotic belonging to the class of fluoroquinolones . It can be used in the treatment of urinary infections, particularly when complicated. The dosage varies depending on the severity of the cystitis.
- Ciprofloxacin : Ciprofloxacin is also a fluoroquinolone that can be used in the treatment of urinary infections – generally complicated – both in adults and in children and adolescents . In the pediatric population, the dosage of ciprofloxacin to be administered varies according to the patient’s age and body weight. Therefore, it is recommended to follow the instructions provided by your pediatrician or doctor and to read the instructions on the package leaflet of the medicine you are taking.
- Lomefloxacin : Lomefloxacin is another antibiotic belonging to the fluoroquinolone class that can be used in the treatment of urinary tract infections. It is used only in adult patients and administered orally. The duration of treatment depends on the severity of the infection.
- Nitrofurantoin : Nitrofurantoin is an antibiotic belonging to the nitrofuran class . It has indications for the treatment of cystitis , both acute and chronic . It is administered orally. It is not used in children.
- Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim : the combination of sulfamethoxazole (a sulphonamide ) and trimethoprim (a synthetic antibacterial with bacteriostatic activity) can also be used in the treatment of cystitis , both in adults and in children , of course, at the appropriate dosages. The dosage must be established by the doctor on an individual basis for each patient.
Although cystitis tends to occur with a greater incidence in female patients, the pathology with an infectious cause can also affect male patients. In these cases, the antibiotics for the treatment of cystitis in men are the same as those used in women.
Indiscriminate Use Of Antibiotics For Cystitis
In many cases, unfortunately, the use of antibiotics is resorted to to treat cystitis – as well as other disorders – too lightly and inappropriately. Indiscriminate and unsuitable use of similar drugs, in fact, inevitably leads to an increase in the phenomenon of antibiotic resistance , with the formation of bacterial strains resistant to an ever-increasing number of active ingredients with antibiotic action. For this reason, patients suffering from cystitis must avoid self-diagnosis and self-prescription of antibiotic medicines and should, instead, always contact their doctor. The latter, for his part, should be concerned with diagnosing the pathology by precisely identifying – also with the help of specific analyzes – the microorganism responsible for the infection , in such a way as to prescribe the most suitable and effective pharmacological therapy.
Likewise, to reduce the risk of developing antibiotic resistance, once the doctor has prescribed antibiotic therapy , it must be completed according to the instructions received, even if the symptoms of cystitis disappear.
Antibiotic For Cystitis In Pregnancy
Pregnant women may also need to be given antibiotics to treat cystitis. Of course, medical supervision is always necessary .
Antispasmodics For Cystitis
In some cases, when cystitis causes pain and muscle spasms , it could be useful – always following medical advice – to resort to the use of antispasmodic drugs . The active ingredient most used in case of spasms of the genitourinary tract is, in all probability, scopolamine butylbromide ( Buscopan ® ). However, the use of this type of drug for cystitis does not appear to be that widespread.
Natural Antibiotic For Cystitis
In recent times, it is not unusual for patients to ask their doctor to prescribe a natural antibiotic and herbal remedies for the treatment of cystitis. Although some plants actually contain compounds that can boast a certain antiseptic and disinfectant action on the urinary tract, similar remedies seem to be more effective in the prevention of cystitis (especially in predisposed subjects) and not in its treatment. We remember, in fact, that in order to avoid the onset of complications and recurrences, cystitis must be treated correctly and the bacteria that cause it must be eliminated effectively.
In any case, among the most used natural phytotherapeutic remedies, we remember bearberry and cranberry ( also known as American cranberry or American cranberry).
Natural Remedies for CystitisHowever, the importance of preventive consultation with your doctor is reiterated once again .